The Prime Minister Narendra Modi on
February 24, 2019 launched the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
(PM-KISAN) from Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
On the launch day itself, the first instalment of Rs 2,000 was directly credited to the bank accounts of selected beneficiary farmers. Around 12 crore farmers are expected to benefit from PM-KISAN.
The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana was announced in the Union Interim Budget 2019 by Finance Minister Piyush Goyal.
|Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN)|
| The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi will provide assured income to small and marginal farmers. Under the Scheme, all Small and Marginal Farmers (SMF) with combined land holding or ownership of up to 2 hectares of cultivable land will be provided with income support of Rs 6000 per year. The amount will be transferred directly into their account in 3 equal installments of Rs 2000 each. The Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) will ensure transparency in the entire process. The complete expenditure of Rs 75000 crore for the scheme will borne by the Union Government in 2019-20. Over 12 crore farmer families will be benefitted under the scheme. The scheme is being implemented with effect from December 2018. Note: A family of a small and marginal farmer, for the purpose of the calculation of the benefit, is defined as “a family comprising of husband, wife and minor children (up to 18 years of age) who collectively own cultivable land upto 2 hectare as per land records of the concerned State”. |
What made Government to launch PM-KISAN?
Considering that the declining prices of agricultural commodities and food inflation led to reduced returns for farmers, the Government felt the need for structured income support for farmers to procure seeds and labour. Taking this into account, the Government introduced Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana for farmers’ welfare.
The PM-KISAN scheme aims to supplement the financial needs of the SMFs in procuring various inputs to ensure proper crop health and appropriate yields. This would also protect them from falling in the clutches of moneylenders for meeting expenses and ensure their continuance in the farming activities.
| Guidelines for States for implementation of scheme Earlier on February 7, 2019, the Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare launched a platform named pmkisan.nic.in, under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana (PM-KISAN) for uploading the details of the Small and Marginal Farmers (SMF). The Ministry also launched the guidelines for states and UTs to implement the scheme.|
Here are the guidelines:
• The selection of eligible small farmer families under the scheme will be undertaken by the State Governments.
• The necessary details such as bank account details will be provided on the online portal so that the first installment of the benefits can be transferred to the eligible families.
• The States will prepare database of eligible beneficiary landholder farmer families in the villages capturing the Name, Age, Gender, Category (SC/ST) , Aadhaar Number/ Driving Licence/Voters’ ID Card/ NREGA Job Card, Bank Account Number, IFSC Code.
• Though mobile number is not mandatory, but it may be noted when available so that the information related to transfer of benefit can be communicated.
• States/UTs shall ensure that there is no duplication of the payment transferred to eligible families.
• Speedy settlement in case of wrong or incomplete bank details of the beneficiary should be ensured.