Context: Under CSR initiative, Security Printing & Minting Corporation of India (SPMCIL) contributes Rs 1 crore towards the National Sports Development Fund.
What is NSDF?
Established in 1998 under the Charitable Endowments Act 1890 and notified by Government of India in November, 1998.
Purpose of creation is to impart momentum and flexibility to assisting the cause of sports. Role of the Fund is supplementary to the overall policy and activities of the Department of Sports in achieving excellence in sports.
OBJECTIVES OF NSDF:
- To administer and apply the moneys of the Fund for promotion of sports in general and specific sports disciplines and individual sports persons in particular for achieving excellence at the National and of International level;
- To impart special training and coaching in relevant sports disciplines to sports persons, coaches and sports specialists;
- To construct and maintain infrastructure for promotion of sports and games;
- To supply sports equipments to organizations and individuals for promotion of sports and games;
- To identify problems and take up research and development studies for providing support to excellence in sports;
- To promote international cooperation, in particular, exchanges which may promote the development of sports;
- To provide low-interest or interest-free loans for projects and activities related to any of the aforesaid objects.
MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION OF NSDF:
Council of NSDF: The Fund is managed by a Council constituted by the Central Government. Union Minister in charge of Youth Affairs and Sports is the Chairperson of the Council. Members of the Council include senior Officers of the Department of Sports, Chairman & Managing Directors of Private and Public Sector Companies / Corporations, representatives of Sports Promotion Boards, etc.